Thursday 14 July 2011

Day 83 . 14 .07.2011

Cape Town fashion week has begun. This is my favourite time of the year, as the streets are filled with quirky and chic individuals all over the city. Yesterday was the Foschini AFI FASTRACK event. This event is the official opening of Fashion Week and it gave new design students and fashion entrepreneurs a platform to display their visual interpretation of what fashion is today. This event was held at the CTICC in the city centre and most importantly, it was for free.
There were plenty of speakers, discussing the process in which a designer takes, from the idea itself to how the garment or collection is put on the shelves in retail stores. Foschini showcased its new range and so did twenty graduate students from fashion colleges.
I wasn’t able to stay as long, however I was able to see Karla Hyman, Pietrie Morton, Tina Loftus and Dalena Le Roes.  My favourite designer was Dalena Le Roes. Her collection was inspired by the 1960’s style icon Audrey Hepburn and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis .Her range’s signature look elements were the perfect handbags , polka dot prints and capri pants.
She kept it simple and had very elegant appearances on each model. She emphasized the models tall and slim physique and I too could see that they felt sexy in their garments.
Overall it was a great afternoon spent with Mpilo Ngcukana (founder and designer for Simon Deporres along with Simon Pocock) and Tshakgi Mannya (Aluxism) and much needed after spending a morning filled with admin for the exhibition.

Checking out

Lees

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anelisa
    It is so great to see such a wonderfull review about my range. You described it exactly the way I wanted my range to look and feel like. It was very hard work and the sleepless nights definitely paid off!!!! I made all my accesories myself and added a personal touch with the vintage bags thats been traveling in our family for generations. I took the liberty of adding the link below where you will find the rest of the photos for AFI fastrack. http://www.afiphotos.com/1107C​TFW/Fastrack/

    enjoy

    Dalena le Roes

    ReplyDelete
  2. It clearly did pay off. *applauds*
    I could tell that the vintage bags were a very subjective touch to the range.
    Thank you for the link and all the best for your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete