Wednesday 27 April 2011

Day 5. 27.04.2011

Progress


Today I woke up really late. When I say late, I’m talking about 13:00.  This was a surprise to my family member's as I am always the first person to wake up in the house. I can’t stop smiling today, and I think it’s because for the first time, in a very long time, I feel relaxed.

So, I have made progress today. I called my uncle Bobo Pemba and asked him to be the opening speaker for my exhibition. I asked him because he is family which means that his speech would be more subjective and perhaps sentimental. My second reason for asking him is because he is someone I respect and, most importantly he understands the life of a struggling artist (quiet laughter at that bold statement of calling myself an artist).

He watched, supported and managed everything and anything that had to do with my Great-Grandfather George Pemba , also known as the pioneer of township art in South Africa, and still does to this day.


If you do not know of him...here are a few images of the man himself and his work:




George Milwa Mnyaluza Pemba




         ( my mom Tham-Tham) Mothers Child , oil on canvas , 1972




   No work , watercolour , 1948



I will start walking now to Cape Town from Johannesburg, so that I don't miss it for the World" he says. A little dramatic I would say, but this only confirms his support for me and this exhibition.
I have a speaker, a gallery, a few followers and major support from strangers and loved one's. It’s the fifth day and I am already so blessed.


My lovely friend Siki Msuseni, a gifted creative and constantly buzzing with energy kind of girl, left a comment on yesterday's post. I checked it out and knew she had gone against what I had asked, and that’s because she is just one of those people that love to rebel and support her friends.


Check out her blog 'All Things Intriguing'   http://www.sikidesign.blogspot.com 

and what she has to say about '131 Days' --->
 http://sikidesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/photographer-anelisa-mangcu.html


Checking out
Lees

1 comment:

  1. I studied the work of George Pemba in art history and had great joy in knowing that we were distantly related x

    ReplyDelete